Redirect your tax dollars via the Arizona Working Poor Tax Credit

Maggie’s Place qualifies for the Arizona Working Poor Tax Credit*, which means you can give to the work of Maggie’s Place at NO cost to you! Arizona law allows taxpayers to redirect some of their state taxes to help the poorest in our state. Through this credit, you can lower your tax dollars AND help our moms and babies. Truly a win-win for you and for us!

Please consider taking advantage of this credit by December 31st and receive a dollar-for-dollar tax credit for up to $400. Donate now online or mail in a check with WPTC in the memo to us at P.O. Box 1102, Phoenix AZ 85001.

We’ve put together a video together and a  Q and A with an accountant to help answer some basic questions. Please feel free to call us at (602) 262-5555 with any other questions you may have. We are here to serve you!

×Update: Itemization is no longer required to claim this credit for any donations made during 2013 tax year.

(* Please note that the WPTC is also being referred to as Contributions to Qualifying Charitable Organizations this year, so you may see it referenced as both. It is the same thing.)

Give your contribution now →

*Here is an additional video from FrontDoors with Cindie Hubiak, CEO of  Arizona Society of CPA’s, explaining new changes to the credit.

Q & A with Certified Public Accountant James Danovich

How does the Working Poor Tax Credit (WPTC) work?
If you make a donation to an Arizona Qualified Charity, you can take a credit against your Arizona state income taxes. Maggie’s Place is a qualified charity. A credit is better than a deduction, as a credit is a dollar for dollar reduction in your tax liability.

Will I be refunded if I donate more than I owe?
First, be careful NOT to confuse “what I owe” with “what is my tax liability.” You may be getting a refund because you had more taxes withheld (from your paycheck, pension, other sources, etc.) than what your liability was. In this case, if you qualify for the WPTC, you would get a larger refund. The direct answer to the above question is you cannot get a refund if you donate more than your income tax liability; however, any unused contribution may be carried forward and used up to 5 years after the donation.

Is there a limit to how much credit I can receive?
Yes. Your contribution amount, not to exceed $200 ($400 if married filing jointly). Otherwise there is a limit based on your income tax liability as discussed above.

How do I file for the credit?
You can file for the WPTC when you file your income tax return for the state of Arizona. Arizona Forms 321 and 301 are necessary to claim the refund (available at the end of the year).

When is the last day I can donate?
The last day to donate is December 31 of each year. Be careful to ensure that if mailed, the POSTMARK date is 12/31 or earlier. If making a contribution by credit card, the transaction date must be 12/31 or earlier.

When will I receive a Maggie’s Place receipt?
A tax receipt will be sent by mail within two weeks of your donation.

If I donate on the last day of the year but it doesn’t hit my credit card until a few days later, do I still get the benefit of the WPTC? 
The IRS will view the transaction date as the point of reference.

Can I donate to receive both School Tax Credit and the Working Poor Tax Credit?
The state of Arizona has a number of independent tax credits. The Public School – Extra-Curricular Tax credit and the Private School – Tuition Organization credits are two of these. Each work similarly, yet independently. As long as your tax liability exceeds the credit parameters of each, you can take advantage of the many tax credit programs available including WPTC.

Give your contribution now →